How does a Tamron 18 400 work on my D7100?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
GlennW Senior Member • Posts: 2,333
Re: How does a Tamron 18 400 work on my D7100?

Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism

An electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism in the lens barrel provides highly accurate electronic diaphragm or aperture blade control when using auto exposure during continuous shooting. With conventional D/G type lenses, the diaphragm blades are operated by mechanical linkage levers.

The DX 16-80 F4E of 2015 was one of the first Nikon lens to come with the E. It replaced the conventional at the time D/G type lens.

If you have a DX 35 1.8G, on the back you will see a lever that stops down the lens. With an E lens this is handled by the camera.

I forget if the D5000/D90 was the last camera to use G type lens. There is no firmware upgrade as you need the contact between lens & body for it to work.

I have a Tamron 18-400 on my D5300. Great lens to take on a cruise & you can't zoom with your feet.  Good lens to take on a sunny day to the zoo. May get a little heavy if you mostly use the 18-55 ranges. At 18 the animal can be up to the fence. At 400 it can be anywhere in the cage. Some us the 18 end to "find" the animal then zoom in to 400 or whatever you need.  In dim light or indoors you may want a 1.8 lens for the extra light.

-- hide signature --

I Shoot RAW

GlennW's gear list:GlennW's gear list
Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow