Do you buy new EF lenses?

Started 3 days ago | Discussions thread
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 4,422
Re: I bought ...

jwilliams wrote:

Vunite wrote:

Out of curiosity: Assuming the entire RF lens setup exists (including the ones to come 2020), do you still buy EF lenses new? Even if there's an RF equivalent?

I assume many still do that, since either the RF equivalent is extremely expensive or because they want to use something like the drop in filter adapter.

Or do you see it as "lost investment", since the future is RF anyway, the lenses too long and big with the adapter etc?

Personally, I'd see EF lenses as a chance to get very good lenses at a much better price (including Sigmas and Tamrons).

I bought 2 EF lenses (already owned several) after I got the R. A 50 1.8 STM thinking it would AF better than my ancient V1 model. Surprisingly there is little difference as both do pretty good if a bit noisy. Second was a 100 2.8 L IS Macro as I wanted a moderate tele lens with IS. Great lens but the constant IS running is a bit bothersome and when I eventually got the RF 24-105 4L IS I didn't care about the 100 as much.

Just use the IS-switch on the lens. That's what i do.

So 2 tries and neither was something I can't live without, but both do what they are intended to even if I have other lenses that aren't drastically different in their performance.

In general I'd say if not already owning EF glass I'd try to buy comprable RF glass if possible, but if not, EF lenses work exceedingly well.

-- hide signature --

EF glass = bang for my buck

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS R Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow