Is this good news for Panasonic?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Iuvenis Senior Member • Posts: 1,322
Re: In simple terms, yes. Supply and Demand.

Jeeter001 wrote:

Iuvenis wrote:

Panasonic and Olympus had both given up on expansion of m43 - Olympus to cut costs, Panasonic to pursue the L mount alliance.

I'd like to understand the definition of "giving up". Pan released a few lenses recently and a new body (revised 25mm 1.4, 10-25mm 1.7, 50-200mm 2.8-4, G100, ...). Is there an expectation if we don't get a new release each month, they've "given up"?

I never said they'd given up - my whole post was predicated on them not having given up. I said that both Olympus and Panasonic had given up on expansion of the market share held by m43.

If a company is set on expanding its market share then you typically see fast iteration of products, lots of R&D, new product lines and greater diversity to reach different market segments, aggressively low pricing etc. If you want to see it in action, look at Canon now. Or Olympus and Panasonic in the early years of m43.

Panasonic and Olympus were adopting a defensive strategy that was based on leveraging existing R&D investments (eg. 20 megapixel and even 16 megapixel sensor), dropping non performing product lines (eg. pro level rangefinder model) and introducing targeted lenses at relatively (for m43) high prices. Nothing wrong with that, it's not a criticism.

Iuvenis's gear list:Iuvenis's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T3 Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow