Between 300mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 and 80-400mm which one would you choose and why?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Parry Johnson
Parry Johnson Senior Member • Posts: 1,823
Re: Between 300mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 and 80-400mm which one would you choose and why?

Hilifer wrote:

briantilley wrote:

calson wrote:

For wildlife photography the 80-400mm is my lens of choice. I prefer it to the 200-500mm and any of the 150-600mm lenses as it provides a more usable zoom range regardless of the size of the animal and the distance.

We seem to be getting off-topic somewhat.

The OP has already stated he doesn't want the lens for wildlife:

Although the OP did express this, the question is “Between [three lenses] which one would you choose and why?“

I would choose the 70-200 as it complements my kit of primarily wider-angle manual focus. I use the zoom for shooting my sons’ soccer games and for longer reach when I travel (back in the pre-COVID-19 days...). It’s an excellent lens for my needs, delivering fast focus, sharp images and great IQ. When I need to go a little longer, I have a 1.4 and 2.0 TC-III, though th latter doesn’t get much use.

My thoughts still go towards the 70-200, as again you can still crop to DX to get more reach if necessary, and photos still look great.  The 16MP crops on my D800 are still better than those I took at full resolution on a D300 or D2XS.  On the OP's Z6, this shouldn't be a problem either.  Because it's available now, even if another Z mount lens comes out later, this lens will still be very useful.  A 70-200 is also easy to re-sell without much loss if it doesn't pan out like expected for the long-term, as they're always in high demand.

Parry Johnson's gear list:Parry Johnson's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +21 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow