Am I wrong on Panny 14-45?

Started 1 week ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 13,420
Am I wrong on Panny 14-45?

14-45 is my first M43 lens which was bought with G1 back in early 2009. It had delivered very consistent result so far on various generation of bodies from G1, GF3, GX1, GX7 and GX85. Fast and accurate AF, IQ never raise alarm bell, unlike the low light wired performance of 12-32, it is an all round player... After upgraded to 12-35 f/2.8, it is generally stayed inside the auto dry cabinet.

IMHO it should be one of my best standard zoom lenses, equally good as 12-35 f/2.8, 14-140 f/3.5 mk-I, marginally better than 12-32 and on top of 14-42PZ.

Recently, it was recalled, mounted on G85 always on my desk (I have a habit of having a camera always ready for me to test it, or to take a picture if anything appearing interest). A couple of days ago, saw a beautiful rainbow after raining, took a few AEB shots for HDR.

The following is one of those AEB snapshots, SOOC jpg:

After I merged the shots into HDR, I found quite poor resolution of the shadow sections. Hence, I picked up one of those original shots, lifted the shadow, and my...... it was looking like an oil painting...

A dirty shadow lifting in FastStone

A crop of the above:

I am shocked... This is not the 14-45 I ever know.

The above was taken at jpg setting NR=0, so, basically it should have a good deal of fine detail been retained. On the shadow lifting, no NR been applied.

I had tested this lens on exact same body G85 on a sunny day and the result was very different:

I expect the IQ should be as below:

???

Am I wrong that 14-45 indeed also has its own problem when lighting condition going bad (I shot it at night time without issue so far)?

Or its age has started taking its toll?

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
ANSWER:
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow