Dynamic range best at lower ISO : help me understand

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
knickerhawk Veteran Member • Posts: 6,957
Re: Dynamic range best at lower ISO : help me understand

David1961 wrote:

knickerhawk wrote:

David1961 wrote:

knickerhawk wrote:

Photographers get into trouble when they try to straddle both worlds by trying to optimize for lightness output and raw output at the same time (and ISO adjustment is often the specific mechanism that gets them into trouble here).

How will ISO adjustment get them into trouble?

As I explained to you in our last encounter, one way to get into trouble is using ISO to maintain the same lightness level while also using it to force a change in exposure level (i.e., using it while in a priority mode). If based on your scenic conditions and metering choice you're already in the highlight clipping danger zone at base ISO, then raising ISO in aperture or shutter priority mode will likely result in unnecessary clipping - that is, clipping that could have been avoided by using a direct EC adjustment to accomplish the desired exposure adjustment instead of using ISO.

But if in say Aperture priority mode you might need to raise ISO from base, or whatever, to get a fast enough shutter speed to freeze action, obviously while still avoiding clipping highlights and assuming aperture has been set to the largest to give the DOF you want.

Except, as I previously explained to you, you don't need to raise ISO in order to increase shutter speed. You can simply use EC. The only valid reason to use ISO as the means for increasing shutter speed is because you're prioritizing the maintenance of the given image lightness over any possible increased highlight clipping.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow