Does the 90D have a real focus problem?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
jrkliny
jrkliny Veteran Member • Posts: 4,238
Re: Does the 90D have a real focus problem?

Crotonmark wrote:

Hi. OP here

thanks. I was first curious in general - you know you spend a lot of $ and then you hear it can't focus. That is depressing

Now I also have personal questions. I mean I am banging my head against a wall trying to get crisp pictures. I know I'm not smart here but man this should not be so hard.

Anyway I posted more examples. Comments/techniques welcome

Here are some comments that might help.

First shoot at a high enough shutter speed to avoid camera shake and motion. In the past that meant a shutter speed greater than the focal length. For example, when shooting at 50mm be sure to have a shutter speed faster than 1/50. Many lenses now include image stabilization to help but resolution has also increased so you still need to be careful with shutter speed. It also helps if you are very steady when you hold the camera and push the shutter. Moving the camera while you shoot is a big no-no.

Second realize that depth of field is often the limiting factor. Begin by focusing on the most important feature, for example the subject's eyes. There are calculators that can help with this and calculations depend on focal length and aperture. When shooting landscapes the rule of thumb is to focus 1/3 of the distance into the scene and shoot at least at f/8, preferably f/11 or even tighter again depending on the variables and intended results.

Next you need to pay attention to sharpening. An out of camera jpeg will have some sharpening applied. That may or may not be sufficient. For example you will likely need additional sharpening if you downsize an image for internet presentation. If you print images, sharpening needs will vary with the size of the print and the subject matter. Remember out of camera raw images are not going to have any sharpening or contrast or saturation adjustments. You will need to learn and gain experience with post processing.

This is not a matter of intelligence so much as the need to learn and understand and gain experience. It used to be said that your first 10,000 images would be your worst. Now with digital we can blast through 10,000 images quickly. Instead think in terms of 10,000 hours of experience to gain skills comparable to an experienced photographer. Photography is a hard endeavor because you need to be able to handle gear and camera settings, compose pictures and shoot with your own style and artistic intend and do all of that within the fraction of a second that the shutter clicks. To gain that 10,000 hours of experience, it really helps if you can join a camera club, take courses, read ever book in the library, look at the work of great photographers and visual artists, learn from a mentor, find a way to get feedback on your work. I have no recommendations about how you can do all of this with Covid still a major concern.

When you are getting started also realize forums like this are full of people with limited experience. Even many reviewers are poor photographers. At best most photographers are gear heads and have virtually no training in the visual arts.

-- hide signature --
 jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow