Search for the cheap new aps-c to adapt

Started May 25, 2020 | Discussions thread
petrochemist Veteran Member • Posts: 3,054
Re: Search for the cheap new aps-c to adapt

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Eric Nepean wrote:

Some years ago I purchased a used Canon FDn 85mm F1.8, which I use with my Matabones focal reducer.

I see the price of the sFDn 85mm F1.8 has gone up; they are now at least 50% more than what I paid, and obout double that of the Neewer 85mm F1.8

I have a few “85’s” in FF fov eq focal length - I find them all to my satisfaction more likely because that focal suits me. I never progressed to the Canon 85/1.8 in any form though - not sure why as it has a good reputation. I suppose that I have had the EF 85/1.2 for many years. In my first tentative steps away from the EF mount I did buy a Samsun 85/1.4 which is also a good lens. Then in M4/3 I made the trifecta with Panasonic Nocticron 42.5/1.2 and 42.5/1.7 and the Olympus 45/1.8 - all great lenses in their own right - I hardly needed all three ....

Then recently the Neewer 85/1.8 which seems to shoot well above its humble origin and price. I find it hard to believe that the lens that could get a poor review as a 6 element 6 group “aps-c” lens could do so well as the rumoured 10/7 or 9/7 Version that “does” FF image circle. In any case it is not a Neewer as it is unbranded - just like its maker sells equally unbranded as “Kelda” under its own brand name.

The bedrock price lens that is a quite good lens is a bit like buying that second hand lens you think might be a bit tired and finding that it images perfectly.

I suppose we all end up owning lenses where we simply don’t know what optical formula is in use.

I suspect the vast majority of photographers aren't aware of the optical formula for any of their lenses.

Personally I consider myself to be much more into optics than most photographers, yet I don't know the formula for at least 85% of my lenses - I'm reasonable o-fay with the basic Tessars, & Triplets and have reference works that show possibilities for my Sonnars & gauss derivatives. Some of my lenses I don't even have a brand or focal length for!..

petrochemist's gear list:petrochemist's gear list
Pentax K100D Sigma SD14 Pentax K-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow