Sensor size and light capture on different lenses

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cpgr New Member • Posts: 10
Sensor size and light capture on different lenses

Hello all, i currently own an A6300 with a kit lens 16-50 and a manual FF canon FD 50 1.8 adapted on it which works great.

My confussion is this: I've read that a full frame sensor and an aps-c have one F-stop of light capture difference. Which means that lets say at f4-iso100-1/50 the aps-c version of the image will be 1 stop less bright than the FF one.

But using the compare tool here on dpreview site on an A7 and a A6300 both images of the same brightness were shot on the same exact settings (f,iso,ss) . The only thing that i've noticed, is that the A6300 has always about one stop more noise than the A7

(For example, the 1/50 iso 1600 f/4 image on the apsc, yields the same noise levels as the 1/50 iso 3200 f/4 on the FF image).

Is this the 1 stop difference or is it just a much better performing sensor on the FF ?

Is the amount of light hitting both sensor sizes constant at the same iso-f-ss settings?

As i've tested at f4 both of my lenses (a ff lens and an apsc one) on the same settings give me the same image brightness so i guess all lenses are the same in regard to the amount of light they capture. (Even though field of view and dop change on diff. sensor sizes)

cpgr's gear list:cpgr's gear list
Sony a6300 +1 more
Sony a6300 Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow