Do you buy new EF lenses?

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 6,644
Re: Do you buy new EF lenses?

The RF 24-105 L and the RF 70-200 L are my two most used lenses, accounting for maybe 98% of my shots.

I don't think I'll ever buy a new EF lens, but since I got the EOS R, I've bought four EF lenses, all second hand.

For those, I figured the inconvenience of using the adapter is small relative to the price and/or availability of the EF lenses.

The 16-35 f/4 L is a nice-to-have lens. I got it second hand for a good price, and would not be able to justify the RF 15-35 f/2.8 L for the limited usage of the focal length.

The 100 f/2.8 Macro is a specialty lens that is not yet available in RF mount. The lack of IS is no problem as it'll be shot on a tripod and/or using studio flash. This lens is available second hand at good prices.

The 135 f/2.8 Soft Focus is another specialty lens which may never see an RF version and which is available second hand in small but apparently sufficient quantities. Due to social distancing etc. I've not yet had much use for it.

The 28-70 is just sitting in a drawer, waiting for the day I have a shoot that needs a backup for a normal focal length range lens. It cost me less than USD 10 and is better than you'd expect from a lens this old.

The only FF EF lens I kept when I sold (most of) my APS-C kit is the EF 70-300 IS USM. It hasn't had much use and has been superseeded by version II, so I figured I'd keep it for backup and you never know when you'll need a lens longer than 200 mm.

I'm still on the fence about getting the control ring adapter. I haven't really begun using the control ring on my RF lenses, but can't decide whether that's because I don't want to get too dependent on it and miss it on the EF lenses.

Looking forward to see how others respond to your question.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BTP
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow