With rumors of a Z8, where does the Z7 fit in?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 27,099
Re: With rumors of a Z8, where does the Z7 fit in?

Lance B wrote:

john isaacs wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Jeff Self wrote:

When the Z7 debuted, everyone thought it was a mirrorless version of the D850. But now that there are rumors of the Z8, where does the Z7 fit now? After all, the D850 is a professional camera. Best jack of all trades dSLR there is. A rumored Z8 seems to me that it would be the equivalent of a D850. So what's the purpose of the Z7 then? I see the purpose of the Z6. It's basically equivalent to the D750/D780. Maybe the Z8 will be the equivalent of the D5/D6? Then maybe there will be no Z9? Provided the Z8 isn't the D5/D6 equivalent, what's the point of the Z7?

I'm a happy owner of a D850, D500 and a Z6. Hoping to have mirrorless versions of my D850 and D500 in the next couple of years.

The Z7 is also a professional camera, just like the D850, or the Z6. What makes you think otherwise...? If the Z8 will become available, it will still be a professional camera, nothing will change that. By the time the Z8 comes, the Z7 will be at least two years old, so it will be a generation change, but that doesn't render the Z7 into useless paper weight, just like if Nikon would ever come up with a crazy idea of making a D860 to replace your D850 with. Would you think that it would mean ANY change in the build quality or the performance of the D850 if it was replaced by a new model...? In fact, even if the Z8 will really be just like the D850, and Nikon scrap ALL the DSLR line, the D850 will still be a pro camera, just like the cameras it replaced a few years ago.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Z7 is not a professional camera. Not even close.

LOL. Way more professional than any dinky Olympus.

Sure, that's true, but then the question is: What is the definition of a "professional camera"? In my opinion, any camera which is used by a professional photographer who earns his/her daily bread with that camera is a professional camera. To be honest, I think only amateurs worry about these things, a real pro care only about if the camera is good enough for the work he/she is doing or not. "biggest, heaviest, fastest, most expensive" are not part of the definition of what a professional camera is, and today the professional photographers are running around with every kind of cameras, large and small, heavy and light. Maybe not so many with Olympus, but maybe even one or two of that brand can bee seen once in a blue moon.

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
jfw
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NCB
NCB
(unknown member)
FKS
FKS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow