Color Space - Shooting and Editing

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 5,025
Re: A mudhen is still clearly a mudhen.

Ding-ding, you got it. Cumbres and Toltec, a triple header "photo freight", where they line up the photographers, back the train up, run it by for the captures, back it up to pick up everybody, and proceed to the next photo line. Here's the processed image:

Back to the thread, the curve in the bottom-left pane is the lift it took to drag the bulk of the image into view. And, that's the histogram you'd see in the camera, although this rendition is still a little dark.

I've done a lot of ETTR-ing since this oh-so-ETTL image, and for all the techniques I've tried, I think I'm going back to spot-metering a highlight, then dialing in the +EV that confidently places it at the brink of saturation. Without an informative histogram, I think that's about as straightforward as it can get...

If you wanted to hold detail in that headlight, you probably had to waaaaaay under-expose relative to the matte-ish black locomotives. And it looks like you were on the shadowed side, which made it even worse. I've been there and done that with curves before.

More generally, I've gone back and forth on looks and effects, especially but not exclusively, for steam locomotives and lit side versus shadowed side. I usually go for the lit side, but there's no answer, just backgrounds and taste.

Edit: just read the post title; for the rest of the world, 'mudhen' refers to the 460 class of locomotives, of which the lead in this image is one of the last two operating.

I thought about including an explanation (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_Grande_class_K-27), but sometimes mystery and obscurity are more fun.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hwg
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow