Color Space - Shooting and Editing

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ggbutcher
ggbutcher Contributing Member • Posts: 797
Re: A mudhen is still clearly a mudhen.

NAwlins Contrarian wrote:

We don't need no stinking raw conversion to see what that is: you've been shooting the Durango & Silverton or Cumbres & Toltec, one of those narrow-gauge steam railroads.

(Sorry for the aside, I was just amused when I recognized the subject even with that very limited view of it.)

Ding-ding, you got it. Cumbres and Toltec, a triple header "photo freight", where they line up the photographers, back the train up, run it by for the captures, back it up to pick up everybody, and proceed to the next photo line. Here's the processed image:

I use this raw to test and troubleshoot my software.

Back to the thread, the curve in the bottom-left pane is the lift it took to drag the bulk of the image into view. And, that's the histogram you'd see in the camera, although this rendition is still a little dark.

I've done a lot of ETTR-ing since this oh-so-ETTL image, and for all the techniques I've tried, I think I'm going back to spot-metering a highlight, then dialing in the +EV that confidently places it at the brink of saturation. Without an informative histogram, I think that's about as straightforward as it can get...

Edit: just read the post title; for the rest of the world, 'mudhen' refers to the 460 class of locomotives, of which the lead in this image is one of the last two operating.

ggbutcher's gear list:ggbutcher's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D7000 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hwg
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow