Lens to add for newborn photography?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP jaggedhorizon Senior Member • Posts: 2,252
Re: Lens to add for newborn photography?

alpshiker wrote:

jaggedhorizon wrote:

We have a baby on the way for end October and I'm thinking whether I want to add anything to the lenses I already have.

This is mostly anecdotal, but my favourite newborn pictures, alone or in his mum's arms, were taken with my main lens at the time which was a Nikkor H-C 50mm f2 at full aperture. Then when my kids started to run, I got a Nikkor 135 f3.5 (could not afford the 2.8) and again, I like those pictures taken on chromes like no others. Later the 80-200 f2.8 ED replaced my other main lens: the Vivitar 70-210, with an AF camera, with great results but I had the muscles to hold it.

Today I mostly use the Canon EF 50mm f1.4 and the EF 135 f2.0 for kids photography playing in their environment. For pure portraiture, if they are calm and posing, I take sometimes the 85mm f1.2 out of the closet, but the f1.8 is a very nice lens too and much easier to focus, especially if you have two sets of eyes in the picture. But to get more specifically to your question, I find that 50mm gives a nice perspective to newborn close-ups.

This is very useful, many thanks!

I had a Sigma DG EX 50 1.4 that I sold...someone else here suggested the Sony Zeiss 50 1.4. A friend who is a Sony ambassador has one, perhaps I can borrow it and see if I can use that and skip the 35 1.4 and 85 1.4.

jaggedhorizon's gear list:jaggedhorizon's gear list
Sony a7R III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow