Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Kaj E Veteran Member • Posts: 9,666
Re: Color Space - Shooting and Editing

Ernie Misner wrote:

Kaj E wrote:

Sagittarius wrote:

Flyer4Ever wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm aware of the differences and limitations of the 3 color spaces: sRGB, Adobe RGB and ProPhoto RGB but in order to be editing in the higher color spaces, do we also need to shoot in Adobe RGB?

Currently I am shooting in sRGB but after importing into LR, I export to Photoshop in ProPhoto RGB and save as PSD. Once I'm happy with the result, I'll export to jpg and convert to sRGB to display on web.

I'm curious if I need to shoot in Adobe RGB from the very beginning in order to preserve the color space. Or can I continue shooting in sRGB and exporting to PS as ProPhoto RGB and then convert to sRGB for web? I'm also confused how it's possible to convert my sRGB RAW to ProPhoto RGB PSD if I didn't shoot in a wider color space to begin with..

Thanks in advance!

If you shoot in RAW, it does not matter what color space you shoot in. RAW file can be opened in any color space. When you convert it to another format, than you can choose color space.

The advantage of shooting in Adobe RGB is that the wider gamut of the embedded image which is used for the display of the histogram in camera is more useful than the sRGB histogram. If you shoot sRGB the camera histogram shows clipping when there is none when you edit in a wider gamut.

We all (raw shooters) desire a true raw histogram, so shooting in AdobeRGB gets us one step closer to that it sounds like? Have you done an in-camera test where you shoot the same scene twice with the camera set to sRGB for one shot and AdobeRGB for the second shot, and then compared how much different the histogram is between the two? Or would that even work?
Also do you set your picture mode to neutral rather then landscape or vivid to get a more (or less) accurate histogram for your raw file? Thanks.

Neutral.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Kaj
http://www.pbase.com/kaj_e
WSSA member #13
It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hwg
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow