Panny 100-400

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Louis_Dobson
Louis_Dobson Forum Pro • Posts: 27,574
Panny 100-400

As I said elsewhere, I've lost my long lens option.
Just read a very positive review of the 100-400 Panny.  Very sharp wide open in the centre, which with a lens that slow is mostly how it would be used.  Also amazingly small and light, and not stupid money.  
The answer then?
Trouble is I keep seeing appalling samples here and people complaining.  It must be one of the following:
1.  The positive review is wrong and it's soft, in which case I'll give it a miss.
2.  It is subject to sample variation, in which case I should pay well over the odds for a UK stock one.
3.  An 800mm EFL is a b*stard to manage, and the people with soft results haven't mastered it.
Which?
Another option is the 200 f2.8 and matching TC.  Primes are a menace for action shooting, but it looks like a damn good lens.
I'm a landscaper, I don't really need a hugely long lens very often. When I do, it doesn't need to be fast, but it does need to be SHARP.  I'm not going to spend arm plus leg on this.
For reference, I had the Panny something to 300 consumer lens and sold it, it wasn't sharp enough.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

Louis_Dobson's gear list:Louis_Dobson's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
TRP
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow