Between 300mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 and 80-400mm which one would you choose and why?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Dibyendu Majumdar Contributing Member • Posts: 766
Re: My Thoughts on the 3 lenses

Windancer wrote:

Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

I am thinking of:

• 300mm f4 PF.
  • 70-200mm f2.8 FL.
  • 80-400mm f4.5-5.6 AFS.

As someone who has owned all of them at one point or another I agree with the very early posts, really depends what you will be shooting. All are very sharp lenses and are worth having.

I have replaced my 300/4 with A 300/2.8, i still have my 70-200/2.8 but since I have gotten rid of my 80-400.

I have considered older 300mm f2.8 - even manual versions. Problem is I think these lenses get heavily used and knocked about so I can't trust used equipment when it comes to pricey lenses. And new ones I cannot justify buying.

First off the 300/4 is a super lens but it has it's restrictions. For birding the 300 is too short and the F4 really doesn't cut it. Even my huge 300/2.8 is too short although works much better with a 2x TC. I do use the 70-200/2.8 a lot mainly for the reason you mentioned "Speed" and is a very sharp lens. I would never get rid of it.

Yes that is why I thought 70-200 is best compromise. It is fast and super optically. So I can potentially get longer reach just by cropping to DX format anyway.  I understand that TC combo (1.4x III) however makes it worse than the 80-400 or 300mm prime.

The 80-400 is a fine lens but older, somewhat slower and something I personally don't like a variable aperture. Just me though....

Once again it all comes down to what you want it for. As I said 300 is a little short IMO for birding, the 80-200 does have some speed for shooting larger mammals, landscapes etc. The 80-400 is longer but slower. It all comes down to what you want to do with it.

Just my thoughts......

Thank you for sharing.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow