Adobe Price increases (but not a don't like Adobe post!)

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
OP davidevans1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,745
Re: Adobe Price increases (but not a don't like Adobe post!)

IanYorke wrote:

davidevans1 wrote:

Can I ask about Adobe price increases please.

I have a Creative Cloud Photography plan with 1TB storage and just received an email saying it's up for renewal at the end of July.

For the 2019/20 subscription I've been paying is £12.48 + VAT VAT a month and the renewal is at £16.64 + VAT, so a 33.33% increase.

If Adobe made the same increases year on year I'll be paying £69.24 + VAT a month by 2025/26 if I'm still around! I'd have bailed out of Adobe long before then so its a question of whether this level of incresae is a one off or to make a change now.

Maybe I was on a lower than normal rate previously but although an extra £4.16 a month shouldn't break me, I'm not comfortable with the principal of a 33% price increase.

Was I on a special rate previously and the new price is the standard rate please?

I don't use Photoshop that much, though I've been endeavouring to learn and am slowly getting into layers. I do like to store my images on the cloud as well as locally and like to be able to view and process occasionally on an iPad or iPhone via LR CC, even though nearly all of my processing is via LR CC Classic.

I have also pretty well mastered printing from LR CC Classic, so would miss that aspect.

I have tried and would be fine using Capture One or DXO (but haven't tried printing with them) but neither have an iPhone or iPad app do they? I have already paid for C1 and DXO when trying them in the past, so no additional cost immediately.

My photographs are Sony raw files and older photographs are mainly Nikon raw. so I appreciate if I made a complete change my LR processing would be lost also. Having said that if I desperately needed the original processing my wife has a LR subscription so I could load photographs on her LR if needed occasionally.

I'm a hobbbyist, not relying on photography for a living.

Any suggestions please?

Do you have SKY? Now you know why investers are so keen on companies whose business model is rental:-)

If you like the product you have to pay the cost. How does the cost scale above 1Tb?Note to self, should have bought those Adobe shares:-)

At £20 per month it is getting expensive and cost will only go one way. If you want to try alternatives you can deal with the cloud storage by getting Microsoft /Office 365 for £56. That will give you up to 6Tb of One Drive storage or, as most do, split the cost with family for 1Tb for peanuts:-)

As Nigel has mentioned the Affinity Photo ipad app is very good, if you need mobile editing.

However, just to be clear if you like the product pay for it. Adobe is good software and I used LR from V1 to 6 very happily before I switched.

If you are interested in printing you should take a look at Qimage Ultimate. This is a dedicated printing program and is well worth the one off cost. It takes care of optimising any print size taking into account the type of printer etc. The sharpening routine is superb and you can forget about bothering with print sharpening just let Qimage do its thing. Layout options are excellent and it can even overide certain manufacturers printer driver restrictions.

http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage-u/

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thank you! As it happens I have Sky Broadband but not Sky TV, we had our fill of Brexit news coverage and packed the TV away and haven't watched it or  missed it since January! I've read about 15 novels since then and freed up two or so hours an evening!

I agree about the subscription model though, it's good for their business, and although I've used LR since around 2010, it may be time for a change.

I've heard and looked at Qimage but never tried it, so now maybe the time to do that.

I already subscribe to Office 365 for the Word and Excel apps but have never properly looked at the One Drive storage, although a couple of my spreadsheets are on there. Now's the time to look at that also!

I also subscribe to Amazon Prime, though not sure how long I'll keep that up for (as I use it for delivery rather than video and haven't looked at the Cloud storage) so One Drive is likely the better longer term option.

Thanks again.

-- hide signature --

David

davidevans1's gear list:davidevans1's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jfw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow