What could Olympus do now to reassure potential customers?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
netHead New Member • Posts: 18
What could Olympus do now to reassure potential customers?

As someone who owns a fair number of Olympus lenses and several of their cameras, I’d like to see the system supported in the future. So the question comes up of what could Olympus do now to make customers more comfortable buying their cameras during this transition? After the news stories of the last couple days I have to think that few enthusiasts are going to be shelling out for new Olympus equipment. (I just returned a new EM5 mark 3 and 12-45 mm this week that I had bought from a local camera store just before the news broke. So it certainly discouraged me, even though getting an update to my existing small and light Olympus kit was something I’d been planning for a while.)

The first thing that came to my mind is that while the camera wasn’t going to stop working just because Olympus decided to give up on the camera business, I do rely on connecting the camera to an iPhone or android device as part of my workflow in important instances. (E.g. I use my phone as a remote viewfinder/trigger when I’m with friends.) And I definitely don’t want to be without that functionality after the next update of iOS or something requires an update to the Olympus app.

There is, however, something Olympus could do to mitigate this worry and it wouldn’t cost them a lot of time or money. They could open source (under an appropriate license containing patent rights) the protocol (and ideally a reference implementation of it) used to communicate between the camera and phone (over Wi-Fi) and desktop (over USB) applications. Making this protocol widely available would mean that 3rd parties (e.g. the folks at Capture One or Cascable) could fully support remote usage of the cameras-you wouldn’t be dependent on Olympus or whatever becomes of NewCo to update the software going forward.

The other thing I worry about is warranty coverage and repair availability down the road. That seems like a harder nut to crack.

I be curious to hear of other issues that folks think are important and other ideas of practical measures that Olympus could take to mitigate them. Might be more heartening direction of speculation than some of the other stuff going on currently.

(And has anyone ever seen any sign that anyone in Olympus actually reads these forums? Alternatively has anyone ever found a reliable channel through which to reach Olympus management?)

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow