Do all cameras nowadays really need to cater to videographers? Am I a purist for disagreeing?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
KariP
KariP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,488
My X-H1 has great video opt., but I never use it

fraga500 wrote:

I was watching Kai W's recent X-T4 video and in the beginning he talks about how he wants a camera that does both things - photos and videos - really well.

Won't get into details of what he concluded at the end of the video, but this intro reminded me of this annoying trend (or norm) in the camera industry: the apparent necessity for a camera to cater to both photographers and videographers at the same time.

I know this is not something that only occurs to Fuji, and that we do not live in a perfect world where people have lots of money and space to acquire a videocamera + a camera for photographing, but what really baffles me is the fact that nowadays some people downplay a camera if it doesn't have lots of video features. It's like every camera today must be a hybrid one, and that even if it does the "photography part" flawlessly, it will "lose some points" for not focusing on video capabilities.

What do you guys think? Is this judgment and downplaying correct? Should all cameras in 2020 have at least some decent video capabilities (meaning am I a purist for seeing no necessity for every camera to be hybrid?)? I wonder too if this became a norm because us (the users) demanded it?

PS:I am posting this here because I own Fuji cameras and because I've seen this unfair downplaying happen a lot to Fuji X cameras, especially the older ones (examples: "what do you mean it only records 10 minutes at a time? What, no 4K? Pfff"), here in DPReview.

I bought H1 because a great camera like H1 was a bargain 7 months ago and it has IBIS (it is sometimes useful). Testers liked the video quality  and the camera has nice video ergonomics.

I have tried video with H1  and 4K IQ is great. I just do not use it. I just hate bad videos and I do not want to shoot more stuff that makes people suffer (if I show them my home videos)  . It does not disturb me at alland  because video settings are usefully separated from stills shooting,  it is in fact nice to know that I can rather fast shoot some footage if I really want to. There is a small possibility, that I some day can see something very exceptional and high quality video can be even valuable - if not making me rich, but you never know.  iPhone videos are also surprisingly good - but if something like a flying saucer happens to land or...  or some very good friend gets married again and desperately needs some better video. It must be a very good friend with a very beautiful bride - and a tight budget. And me in a good mood    

I just remember there are the video options - I do not have to use any. Nice camera anyway.

-- hide signature --

Kari
I started SLR film photography in 1968, first DSLR was Canon 40D in 2007. Now Fujifilm X-E3 and X-H1 for nature, walking around ,traveling/landscapes - fantastic 5DMkIV for landscapes, macro , BIF ... .

KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-E3 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
rlx
jrk
GF
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow