Will HDR Kill Flash?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
AOC
AOC Regular Member • Posts: 423
Re: Will HDR Kill Flash?

Clickalot wrote:

I'm just assembling an off-camera flash setup (L bracket and bounce) for my DSLR and loving the results, but its size and heft make me feel like Weegee with a Speed Graphic.

Don't cell phones approach the problem of an unevenly lit scene with many dark regions by using HDR? I can't imagine how else you'd approach general photography with only a pea-dinker LED flash.

You've heard of the ever-improving "portrait modes" on iPhones, I presume? They simulate, albeit imperfectly, various studio lighting setups and grow more popular by the day.

Smartphone users do care about lighting, just not for the size and weight of dinosaur flashes.

The ensemble of features phones have on offer, not just damn-good HDR tonemapping, could well kill flash as we know it.

And when stacked, backlit high speed global shutter comes to smartphones, the last remaining reason to get a flash -- freezing motion -- will be well and truly dead.

-- hide signature --

Cl..Clos..Closinnggg...in...?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
AOC
AOC
AOC
MOD Biggs23
(unknown member)
MOD Smaug01
AOC
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
AOC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow