Working with new 500mm PF

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Ricardo00 Contributing Member • Posts: 780
Re: Working with new 500mm PF

Chris Mak wrote:

My intention to give the 500mmf4E a go comes mostly from using the 500PF in bright daylight with the 1.4TC on for the more distant subjects. It tends do develop some "glow", "hazy outline" and loses a clear transition from into focus to out of focus and vica versa.. . ...

I may go on a bit, but I would be happy if the Nikon 500f4E has the ability to shoot beautiful images with a 1.4TC when almost all lenses seem to give up, and their shooters also because of "atmospheric distortions". They (atmospheric distortions) sure do exist, and can truly ruin images, but I find that the term is often used to excuse lenses that simply shoot poorly in strong daylight when the distance is greater than 25m. The below image was at appr. 80m.

Maybe Chris you can provide an example of the "glow" and "hazy outline" that you are describing?  I haven't heard that these lenses shoot poorly in strong light at a distance.  I am often shooting under such conditions and have had distortions from heat waves reflecting off rocks and sand but don't see how any lens could differ in the handling of such conditions?  But I would be interested to hear more about this and see how the Pentax lens would handle it.

Ricardo00's gear list:Ricardo00's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow