alternatives to 28 2.8 d

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
jebo1 Regular Member • Posts: 247
Re: alternatives to 28 2.8 d

According to DPreview the 12-24 sigma has impressive sharpness. You can check that on this site. However this lens costs 1200 dollars so for me it is too expensive. Even then you can see (pixel peeping) that not all images are that sharp and sometimes very comparable to the pictures you have shown. The perceived sharpness also depends on the light and the subject. Should you pixel peep? I also have a D700 and use it mostly for landscape photography. To get some reasonable sharp images I do not use zoom lenses but only  prime lenses. My sharpest lens at the moment is my 50mm 1.8 e series. It was sharper and more contrasty than the new 1.8 50 mm d. Why...? I also use the 28mm 2.8 e series which is a bit less sharp but certainly better than the zoomlenses which I can afford and it has good contrast. It is however manual focus but for a wide-angle lens this is not so important shooting at f 5.8 or f8. This is picture I have taken with this lens. For me good enough but not much sharper than the picture you have shown me but also not less sharp than some of the images shown with the sigam 12-24.

jebo1's gear list:jebo1's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon D700 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow