CortoPA
CortoPA Forum Member • Posts: 64
Re: Why bother?

EmmaNems wrote:

Overrank wrote:

EmmaNems wrote:

Overrank wrote:

EmmaNems wrote:

The camera's mechanical. It only needs a battery to operate a near-useless meter. Built-in meters suck. Get a good incident meter and forget the camera batteries.

Given that it’s so easy to fix why bother buying and carrying an external meter and dialling in the setting each time?

Using sunny-16 is of course a different thing, that would avoid having to carry anything, but not always so good.

Because, as said, built-in meters suck.

Opinion with no evidence

A reflected meter only works accurately when you get lucky.

Define accuracy

An incident meter works all the time.

Not if the batteries are flat

Exposure is determined by illumination. A built-in meter cannot measure illumination. A reflected reading can be used to determine exposure if one knows the reflectance of what the reading is taken from. A built-in meter can't know that. One could also do it by choosing what value to place the reading on by what value one wants it to be. A camera meter can't do that by itself. It needs a human.

You only need to change exposure when you change the source of illumination, not each time. Sunny 16 works exceptionally well because the Sun puts out consistent light, as it has done for millennia. But take a camera meter out in the direct sun and watch the exposure readings vary all over the place as you point it at different subjects.
The definition of proper exposure, and therefor accuracy, is when the exposure yields a value on film that prints at the match of the subject's reflectivity when exposed for the minimum time to produce maximum black through the film edge. On slide film you can measure directly on the slide.

Built-in meters suck for all these reasons and because they simply cannot tell the difference between a change in illumination and a change in reflectance. That alone proves their fatal flaw.

The reason so many people think their meters work accurately is because they don't realize what a proper exposure looks like.

Now I feel sad for all those poor peons out there not realizing how inaccurate the exposure on their photographs really is. Terrible. I guess I can never use a camera light meter again..

i'm crying here LOL

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow