KamLan 50mm F1.1 Mark I : Is it really so bad?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tom Schum
Tom Schum Veteran Member • Posts: 9,876
KamLan 50mm F1.1 Mark I : Is it really so bad?

Having seen that the general consensus about the original KamLan 50mm F1.1, the Mark I, is that it is not very good, I took mine out today shooting.

It is a small and light lens compared to the Mark II, and fits my X-E1 quite well.  The front hood is plastic, but fits well if you mate it carefully to the front of the lens.  There is no need to remove it from the lens after that, since it is not very deep.

Shot with Fuji X30, the perfect camera if you use ebay. Left side shows it small on the X-E1, and right side shows the business end, the F1.1 front element.

The big complaint about this lens is that it isn't sharp.  Well at least my copy is good enough.  Not perfect like the big heavy Mark II which I also own, but still pretty nice.

F5, infinity focus.  Actually, focused at F5 on the center of the metal radio tower.  Note the top of the tower is not sharp.  By focusing on the top of the tower, focus cannot be improved.  This is quite a bit away from the center of the image, which has good sharpness.

F5.6, focused on the second bike from the front.  Not bad.  Depth of field at F5.6 will make adjacent bikes soft but this is not the fault of the lens.

Close view, F5.6, focused on the center of the larger mushroom.  Nice clarity, and softness away from center does not matter here.

See second post for more images.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Copper: Mankind's favorite electrical conductor

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic ZS100 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma sd Quattro +15 more
Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow