06/2020 Would you still buy a Nikon D3s?

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
DGriesmer
DGriesmer New Member • Posts: 16
Re: 06/2020 Would you still buy a Nikon D3s?

I would probably do it.   I shot a D3s up to two years ago when I sold it to upgrade to a D4s.   
Is the D4s better?  Yes.  Is it a night and day difference?  Not so much.   I think for your use case a D3s will work perfect.    I frequently shot mine at ISO 10,000-12,800 range for indoor volleyball in a cave of a gym and was delivering photos that the school I was contracted with loved.  
For indoor sports, I DO NOT recommend going to a D500.  I've owned 3 and couldn't push the ISO anywhere close to the way I could the D3s.   Granted that's without downsizing the D500 files, but I don't have time to fiddle with such nonsense when trying to deliver images as quickly as possible.  
Can't go wrong with a D3s, D4, or D4s.  They are all GREAT for low-light action.

-- hide signature --

- Danny

DGriesmer's gear list:DGriesmer's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4D ED-IF II +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow