Will Fujifilm be next?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,088
Not so sure...

Batdude wrote:

KennyXYZ wrote:

Olympus reveals plans to ditch its camera business

Absolutely NOTHING is safe in this world. Our health, our life, our jobs, and definitely no business is, so I find it really interesting how some spit out the world “no” so fast. But hey maybe they know the future.

One thing I will say is this, it is not going to be easy on Fuji because the FF mirrorless war is just beginning and new and used FF bodies are going to flood everywhere at the same or below prices as APS-C.

Im being very honest with you, I’m (not sure) if I’ll ever again spend another $1899 for an APS-C camera and I’m actually keeping my eye on certain others brands, but they are FF. That’s the truth.

So, you seems to be assuming that there are huge numbers of people out there dying to get their hands on a FF camera, but are waiting for them to become more affordable? Maybe, but I doubt it. The niche that crop cameras occupy offers more than a cost advantage. There is also a size advantage, which for many, way outweighs the one stop or so IQ advantage that FF offers. I’m not one of those sitting on the sidelines waiting with bated breath for a FF body to drop to some arbitrary price point. It’s simply of no interest to me, now or in the future.

I think you’re projecting your own needs and biases on the broader market, and cost is only one factor to be considered here. What’s more, the high end of the APS-C market will inevitably overlap the lower end of the FF market. That’s been happening for ages. Both are attractive to photographers for various reasons and I see both formats thriving and occupying their own niches in the market for some time to come. There will continue to be higher end crop bodies that overlap lower end FF bodies in cost. This is true of every market there is. If you compare like for like, you will continue to see price differences and segmentation.

Your interests and biases here are (and have been) clear. Just don’t assume that they apply to the broader base of photographers out there. I’m certainly seeing no evidence that crop cameras are a dying breed, by any means.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
rlx
(unknown member)
jrg
jrg
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow