Between 300mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 and 80-400mm which one would you choose and why?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 20,340
Re: Now - primarily the 80-400 G

The 80-400 has a reputation for being prone to collecting dust.

80-400 G 6 years internal dust

While not the end of the world - there is at least double the amount of dust than in any of my other Nikon lenses after a few years use.

What Nikon UK calls the lens collar (where the hood bayonets on) is very thin compared most other of the Nikon bayonet collar lenses I own - and can break.

Thin lens collar is easily broken in a minor impact.

I do not know when it happened - but it has happened.

The only other Nikon lens that does not have about 4 mm more more plastic behind the collar (usually including the Nikon gold ring) seems to be the 200-500.

The 80-400 G is close to the price of the 70-200 FL in the UYK.

The 300 PF can have "interesting flare" when the sun is near the edge of the frame.

Which combination you choose is personal choice - part influenced by your view on 5x zoom convenience v a single lens and converter.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow