Questionable meaning of "Open Box" & "Refurbished" on e-bay.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Alex Ethridge
Alex Ethridge Veteran Member • Posts: 4,994
Questionable meaning of "Open Box" & "Refurbished" on e-bay.

A friend called today asking advice on an e-bay purchase and it triggered the recollection of my own experience with an "Open Box" item so I thought I would share it here.

I sold a lens I had owned for about a year on CraigsList close to a year ago. I advertised it as in perfect condition with original box, packaging, etc. I had actually bought it used, myself, and used it only a few times over the near year I had owned it.

A few days later, I saw an ad for a lens just like it advertised as "Open Box" so just out of curiosity I took a look and saw the seller was shipping from my city. To shorten the story, it was the same lens I had sold. I know because I verified the serial number via e-bay mail.

So, including the guy I sold it to, that lens had been owned by three people already. So, unless an item advertised as "Open Box" is by a highly reputable seller, "Open Box" might not mean what you think it does.

And I now have the same trepidations about "Refurbished", too.

Alex Ethridge's gear list:Alex Ethridge's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic GH5 Sony a7 III Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow