Generic D850 battery grip with rubber coated wheels

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ARClark
ARClark Veteran Member • Posts: 3,919
Re: $940 for Nikon OEM grip, cap, battery and charger at B&H

PerfectPoms wrote:

The price of original Nikon battery grips seemed to go way up with either the D500 or D750 or D850 - and I said NO WAY to Nikon to pay their prices again when good generic grips were one TENTH the price - AND I like the slightly lighter weight of the generics.

Nikon chargers are also WAY too expensive.

Batteries are a bit more complicated: I just had a (*(^&^ Amazon DTSE generic EN-EL18 battery fail on me after only using it a few times.

The generics are MUCH cheaper - but you usually only get about 70% of the performance out of them, I think, and I suspect only 1/3 of the longevity, on average.

When you do a price/performance comparison - some may still choose generic batteries - but I think I'll spend the big bucks on the newest EN-EL18c because I can be pretty sure it will still be working perfectly in 5 years.

Good points, Bill. I’ve read of others that have gone that route as well. Makes great sense for working pros and something I might consider for a once in a lifetime type of trip.

Alan

ARClark's gear list:ARClark's gear list
Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4D ED-IF II +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow