Replacement for the dreaded Mercury batteries

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP davesurrey Senior Member • Posts: 1,448
Re: Replacement for the dreaded Mercury batteries

Overrank wrote:

davesurrey wrote:

tassieneck

That's an interesting alternative although I'm currently having problems getting any company to reply to my emails asking for a simple CLA let alone electronic mods.

Who did you get to do the mods?

I assume you mean adding some sort of voltage regulator rather than just adjusting the meter calibration.

You can find details to make the modification yourself for some cameras on line (see for example https://www.rangefinderforum.com/classics/forum/messages/6901/2312.html?1080656689). You solder a diode onto the power lead - I’ve never done this although I’ve had a Nikon F modified for 1.5v as part of a repair/service.

I've read up a lot over the last 12 hours plus thanks to all who have helped here.

It does seem however that most of these adaptors use a diode to drop the voltage and even if they use a Schottky diode the voltage drop will still be temperature and most importantly current dependant. The extensive paper by F de Gruijter " The Mercury cell problem and its solutions" is very detailed on this.

But how this will affect results in practice only time will tell.

So ideally I'd like a voltage regulator inbuilt eg using the Toshiba TCR2EE135LM. But perhaps I'm over thinking this and should just enjoy the photography.

Dave

davesurrey's gear list:davesurrey's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic FZ1000 +26 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow