Between 300mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 and 80-400mm which one would you choose and why?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 5,069
Re: Between 300mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 and 80-400mm which one would you choose and why?

Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

briantilley wrote:

If you don't need a fast lens for sports, wildlife or low light, for "general photography", I would consider the AF-P 70-300mm f.4.5-5.6E VR. It's smaller and lighter (and much cheaper) than any of the lenses you mention, and produces nice images.

Its not that I don't need faster lens - I do.

You still haven't said what you need a faster lens for.

But price / size / availability in the longer range is a limiting factor.

I had a 70-300mm version in the past - like all these zooms it was not great at 300mm and also slow to focus.

Neither of those criticisms apply as much to the AF-P VR version as they did to earlier version.

I am interested in views of the three lenses I mentioned rather than alternative suggestions.

OK, put it this way - I don't think any of those three lenses matches the requirements as you have stated them.

I am currently leaning toward the 300mm prime.

That's an excellent lens - I have used mine for larger wildlife, airshows, theatre and events.  But it's not a flexible lens.  For "general photography" in that range I use my AF-P 70-300mm VR.

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow