Does anyone have super-soft extreme corners on their 16-35GM?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
PWPhotography Forum Pro • Posts: 10,507
Re: Does anyone have super-soft extreme corners on their 16-35GM?

Dan_168 wrote:

onfocus wrote:

I really tried hard to replace my Sigma ART DG DN 14-24/2.8 with a 16-35/2.8 GM due to the more useful focal range and filter friendliness, but failed and gave up. The Sigma smokes the GM even at F2.8 in the corners and is much more consistent to highest sharpness levels across its focal range, and across the frame from center, midfield to the edges.

The Sigma ART DG DN 14-24/2.8 is currently the best WW zoom money can buy and beats or levels also top WW primes.

Totally agree, that sucker is just as sharp as their 14 1.8 prime. if I am in a market for a wide zoom, that will be the FIRSR choice, but I already have a bunch of Art primes so I will just skip this zoom, but I will recommend this over the 16-35GM to anyone who is looking for a high quality zoom.

https://www.albertdros.com/post/sigma-14-24-for-sony-e-real-world-review

According to Albert Dros and quoted below,

And I guess you’re wondering how it compares to the Sony 16-35 GM? Well, I did my very best to put them side by side on a number of occasions. But I really had a hard time finding differences in sharpness. The 16-35GM was sometimes a little bit sharper in the center, but less sharp on the edges. But it was really close. I’d say that these lenses are very close to each other regarding sharpness.

So neck to neck in sharpness.  For me 16-35 GM is a better choice and I'd still pickup even today 1) much more versatile and useful FL range; 2) can use regular filters and 100mm holder system; 3) lighter; 4) Sony brand and better resale value.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow