Recommendations for long term storage: RAID or ??

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
a_c_skinner Veteran Member • Posts: 9,712
Re: A copy, by itself, may or may not be a backup

Although backup threads always end like this you may have helped me to respond positively having thought more than I usually do.

Backup is a strategy.  Without the strategy it is just copies of your data.  As ever you devise strategies to meet plausible threats and the less plausible and the less catastrophic the less you prepare to meet them.

I work with files on a work station, then file them on a NAS.  I move the originals to a folder labelled "To delete".  When I backup the NAS I clear this folder.  I've several backups.  Until recently my off site ones (two sets) were 100 miles away, but that is too inconvenient so my protection against a widespread catastrophe is reduced as they are now two miles away but they will get rotated more often.

RAID isn't part of my strategy.  I don't need the continuous up time or speed that are its strong points, so I don't need it.  I can manage easily for a few days during which I buy new NAS, retrieve the backups and restore them.

Cloud won't work for me as I've a very big volume of data (3Tb) and a slow internet connection (soon to be 1Gbit/s so who knows?).

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow