Between 300mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 and 80-400mm which one would you choose and why?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Parry Johnson
Parry Johnson Senior Member • Posts: 1,812
Re: Between 300mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 and 80-400mm which one would you choose and why?

briantilley wrote:

I wanted the longest possible focal length without it being too big a lens. Because I know I would never take it with me if its too big. Ideally a modern 400 f5.6.

Price is a constraint too. All three I mention are within the budget so to speak.

As for type of photography - not wildlife or sports - but general photography.

Obviously zoom is preferable. Initially I was planning on the 80-400mm but I am undecided now because of reviews saying its performance at 400mm is weakest.

If you don't need a fast lens for sports, wildlife or low light, for "general photography", I would consider the AF-P 70-300mm f.4.5-5.6E VR. It's smaller and lighter (and much cheaper) than any of the lenses you mention, and produces nice images.

That's a pretty good idea.  I've heard some good reports about the FX and DX versions (depending on what you shoot with).  My only concern is that teleconverters might not work so well (especially on the DX version) as you'd lose quite a bit of light.  That's where the 70-200 f2.8 could help.

If you need good reach, and want to keep at a reasonable price point, the 200-500 VR is still your best option, or even consider one of the new 100-400mm offerings by Sigma or Tamron as smaller, cheaper options.  (Compatibility-wise, the Sigma seems to be better, at least with Z bodies.)

To the OP: You still haven't mentioned the camera you're using, as that also comes into play.

Parry Johnson's gear list:Parry Johnson's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +21 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow