Working with new 500mm PF

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
81258606 Regular Member • Posts: 216
Working with new 500mm PF

I just received my 500mm PF after a wait of nine months.  I went with a small camera store in Tucson, AZ and did not order with other stores concurrently.  I had to pay for the lens up front and was getting a little worried as the pandemic was putting a lot of stress on small businesses such as camera stores.

I'm 73 years and normally use a Nikkor 500mm f/4 lens with a TC 1.4III.  I've used the lens hand-held for almost five years.  I'm not a particularly strong person but find the tripod foot to be a great handle and carry the lens without a strap.  I think the 500mm f/4 is a terrific lens and works well with my D500 camera.

I was interested in the 500mm PF for those circumstances where I'd do more hiking and for travel where it would pack easier.

I have used it twice.  The first time, I added the TC 1.4 III and the second time without a TC.  With the TC, the lens seemed to do fine and focused almost as well as my 500mm f/4.  Without the TC, it seemed to focus a tad bit faster.  My observations of course are completely subjective.

I was astonished how small and light the 500 PF is.  I really have nothing new to add to the many posts over the last year or two.  Subjectively, I'd say it performs 90% as well as the 500mm f/4.  The obvious trade-off is weight vs performance.

I think the 500mm PF is excellent and worth having for the weight flexibility.  I use a strap with the 500mm PF.

Two small galleries are at:  https://bill3sarah.smugmug.com/Misc/AF-S-Nikkor-500mm-f56-PF-ED-VR

Some pics:

With TC 1.4 III

Without TC 1.4 III

Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow