Help! - Issues with Canon 7dMk2 and flash on macro work

Started 3 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Casualsnap New Member • Posts: 5
Help! - Issues with Canon 7dMk2 and flash on macro work

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. Just been having some issues with trying to shoot macro work indoors with flash on my Canon 7DMk2. I've been using the Canon 180mm macro lens and a Canon MT-26EX-RT macro twin flash. Although the phenomenon I'm about to describe also occurred using a Sigma 105mm macro lens and the built in flash outdoors. I've also recreated it on another 7DMk2 and so I know it is not camera specific.

Set up shown below:

I've started seeing a band of slightly differently exposed section of the image. If you take a close look at the ladybird image you can see a horizontal line midway down the image and another one a little way down from the top, between these two lines the exposure is lighter.

I've managed to recreate this phenomenon a few times but it's occurrence is inconsistent and the extent of the band is different each time. I can take four shoots in a row and only the fourth shows the issue. I've attached another image where I managed to recreate it below, where virtually the whole central horizontal third is differently exposed.

It doesn't happen without flash. My camera supplier suggested I lower my shutter speed as I was using the max sync speed of 250/sec but this didn't resolve it. I am using the canon diffusors and when I remove the diffusors it doesn't appear to be happening. I've made sure the flash head angle is as recommended by Canon for the lens I am using. I've also seen the phenomenon when the flash heads are both higher up rather than in the horizontal plane as shown in my set up photo.

I'm guessing it is all related to flash power, shutter speed and set-up but would appreciate any hints anyone could give as it's making indoor macro work a bit of a lottery.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tim

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow