Canon lenses calibration

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
OP CESA Regular Member • Posts: 477
Re: Canon lenses calibration

J A C S wrote:

Why are you doing this? Do you see AF problems?

One of the mistakes people make is to do the calibration with the target too close. This would create more problems than it would solve - been there, done that.

Just use the lenses you normally would and inspect the shots carefully for AF errors. Do MA only if you see consistent front or back focus.

Well, normally I like to shoot at 2 to 3 meters from subject with this lens. Sometimes 5 meters for full body shot.

I have noticed that my pictures are not coming consistently in focus when I shoot people. For example this weekend went out to shoot and most of the pictures did not came in focus when shot at f/1.2 and f/1.4.

This was shooting people.

When I get myself in a quite place with static subjects like any items I can see that the pictures kinda come in focus most of the time.

So to rule out any possible problem with the lens itself I wanted to calibrate the lens first and do some test shots at several distances from minimum to about 5 to 7 meters.

I am in the process of doing this and I have a suggestion from Nero who has kindly answered to some of my questions on another thread and I will follow his advice.

What I will do is shoot at different distances using natural light and a tripod with a parallel object to the sensor. 3 shots at the time using OVF and live view. Will probably do this for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 meters and see what I get. Will also lock the mirror.

Will come back with the results and let you know. Thanks

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow