Should I keep separate SD Cards for my mirrorless camera?

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 36,212
Easiest if you do keep them separate.

James A Murray wrote:

Hello, I recently bought a used Lumix G80 for video use and I was wondering if I should keep separate SD cards for it. I have a Nikon D75000 I use for photography and I've got SD cards for it however I worry that using the same SD cards could cause issues related to formatting such as corruption.

Only testing will tell. You certainly won't break anything, all that may happen is a warning that something isn't right with the card after doing a swap.

It's nicest and easiest to label cards and keep them apart.

Just now I tried a round robin swap of cards between some cameras and Olympus did not seem to care where a card came from, it simply adds its own folder to the card when it takes a shot, no matter what's there already.

Panasonic and Sony seem to be at odds with each other and cross-swapping between them leads to "card errors" or "image database errors" and again those cards into the Olympus have no problems - so far. But no guarantees on that as Panasonic and Sony both create a fussy set of weird folders.

I have 4 brands of cameras that may get used in the house between my wife and myself, plus others of vintage that may get used very rarely. In the past swapped between Casio and Olympus no problems.

In all cases I do keep cards and spares with the cameras and only rarely swap them around, unless I format them first in the camera to be used.

Cards are so cheap now that it is easy to have too many available.

Now with all this test swapping my cards are in a confused mess and need to get back to where they came from.....

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow