Should I keep separate SD Cards for my mirrorless camera?

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,547
Re: Should I keep separate SD Cards for my mirrorless camera?

Rambow wrote:

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

As long as you format the card every time you change camera there should be no problem. However, it is a chore and easy to forget. Much simpler to keep separate cards for each camera …

Statistically i think there is a higher chance of people formatting before they copy the files then coming here for help than having issues with using one card on separate cameras.

Besides, if a camera does require the card to be formatted it tells you so, if it doesn`t it doesn`t need to. If the camera accepts the card, the card is not malfunctioning yet the user has issues it simply means there is something wrong with the camera itself.

I do keep separate cards for each camera, but only so that i don`t mix them together and lose images etc.

To be honest, I have cards now that are about 8-10 years old and have been installed and used in half a dozen cameras, and have never run into a problem.  The more important thing is that you don't simply swap cards between cameras without formatting them in the camera... that can lead to problems.  But as long as you format in camera, I have never seen anyone complain that they ran into issues because they used different cards with different cameras.

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z5 Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow