Recommendations for long term storage: RAID or ??

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
DerKeyser Contributing Member • Posts: 626
Re: Recommendations for long term storage: RAID or ??

a_c_skinner wrote:

For reasons I need not go into I'm a few weeks off having two buildings a few miles apart both with 1Gbit/s internet connections and I suppose I could have automatic off site and use either one seamlessly. I'd use a second Synology, but in the mean time USB disks will be a lot less trouble.

If you need continuous availability RAID of some sort will help, it would take a day or so to restore that amount of data over USB3, but disk failure isn't the only cause of data loss, actually probably a minority one, so please no one should think it reduces the number of backups needed.

I've not looked at snapshotting. My only concern about it (as opposed to off line duplicate data) is that NASs are common now and I'd worry about people targetting the more popular ones.

Snapshotting can in NO  circumstances be used “as opposed to” offline duplicates. Snapshotting like Raid - Is NOT a backup! .... well technically it is, but since it resides on the same spindle(s) as the dataset, it will fail with the drive or filesystem or storagebox. 
so you still need a backup even if using snapshots. The advantage is that the need tu restore from actual backup becomes much much more unlikely, and restore speed becomes near instant as opposed to copying files from cloud or external drives.

-- hide signature --

Happy Nikon Shooter
See my articles and galleries at: https://wolffmadsen.dk

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow