16-55 vs 3 primes

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
KariP
KariP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,488
Re: Swapping lenses or looking for a new wife ??

jjz2 wrote:

jhorse wrote:

unhappymeal wrote:

The flip side is travelling with primes can force you to be disciplined about what you shoot and enjoy your vacation more.

That is dependent upon the purpose of the trip. Holiday with the family, I would suggest that swopping primes is far from enjoyable and their impatience will begin to tell. Flexibility and adapting one's photography to their needs is, in my opinion, more important than pure photography. When we went to Paris as a family, in 2018, I took a zoom and a couple of primes. The primes hardly came out of the bag.

Travelling solo (or with a companion equally committed to photography), then yes, one can plan and act in a different manner and therefore be disciplined.

For me it's either just me or me and my wife, who is also into photography...so I'm bringing basically everything.

I'm not 100% serious - but an adult  person with family/ spouse has to think how others  react.  Also when you are traveling with a group (of non photographers) ...

There is also the cultural things - when we travel to some very different country. I would not travel to Israel with a suspicious looking backpack full of hard objects. A neat shoulder bag looks more "normal" and harmless. IMO.  Then there a places full of tourist mobs - like S.Marco Venice. Opening a big bag full of gear/lenses  is what it is socially.

Nature trips are an other thing - I happily pack a long zoom, a macro, some prime lens for low light, zoom for landscapes etc etc, even a tripod. And just enjoy a day with my gear.

-- hide signature --

Kari
I started SLR film photography in 1968, first DSLR was Canon 40D in 2007. Now Fujifilm X-E3 and X-H1 for nature, walking around ,traveling/landscapes - fantastic 5DMkIV for landscapes, macro , BIF ... .

KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-E3 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow