Nice lens for occasional use

Started Jun 22, 2020 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Space the final frontier Senior Member • Posts: 1,100
Nice lens for occasional use

I am not a tele lens user in general. If I do need, I use an old 4/3 50-200 SWD, which is fantastic. I bought an E-M1 just to use this lens. Since I don't often need long focal length, I don't mind taking it when I know I will use it.

I started riding my bike again recently and like to carry my photo gear. The 50-200 does not make the list. I was very much fixed on getting Pany 100-300 because my previous copy of Oly 75-300 (>2 years ago) was not very good and I sold it. The price difference convinced me to give the Oly a second chance. It arrived quickly last Friday. I tested on a number static subjects and compared that to my 50-200 and 1.4X TC.

The 50-200 is still visibly better across comparable FLs and apertures, but the differences are smaller than I care. The 75-300 is better than 50-200+1.4TC at 300 mm. Again, the differences are only obvious under side-by-side comparison. IOW, I am comfortable with either lens if max aperture is not a consideration. But for bike ride where size and weight matter, the 75-300 wins.

Here are two pictures taken earlier today. Both were handheld. I am quite happy with the results. I only gave 4 star because of the slow aperture and lack of WR even though I knew it when I bought it.

This family of deer (5 in total, I believe) lives in my backyard. I never understood why these two did not seek better shelter when it was pouring.

Space the final frontier's gear list:Space the final frontier's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +15 more
Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Telephoto zoom lens • Micro Four Thirds • V315040BU000
Announced: Jan 30, 2013
Space the final frontier's score
Average community score
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow