Lens to add for newborn photography?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
JpGomez Regular Member • Posts: 496
Re: Lens to add for newborn photography?

jaggedhorizon wrote:

We have a baby on the way for end October and I'm thinking whether I want to add anything to the lenses I already have.

The two lenses I'm most likely to use are the Sony 55 1.8 and the Batis 85 1.8. I may also use a Voigtlander 50 1.2 (when he's not moving, at least, I'm not fast enough with MF for a moving baby). Clearly, I don't really NEED anything else to take great pics...

But...there's a cashback offer on the Samyang 85 1.4 that's intriguing and the lens would give me even more separation, and then I've heard great things about the Batis 40 for baby photography...or should I go the other way and think of taking the plunge on a 135 1.8?

I'll certainly have the opportunity to use them!

Your 55 and 85 is already very capable for newborn. I shot just the 55 with my son from infant to about 2 yr old and later added few lenses.

What was lacking for detail shots was a lens that can close focus, the 35/1.8 has very short minimum focus distance. It has been pretty solid since owning it.

-- hide signature --

The best gear is the one you have at that moment.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jpgomez/

JpGomez's gear list:JpGomez's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Samyang AF 18mm F2.8 FE
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow