Canon lenses calibration

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 21,977
Re: Canon lenses calibration

CESA wrote:

Hi all,

I am looking into FoCal to calibrate my canon lenses. I have been progressively changing my lenses to L series due to their quality and durability.

Most of them are bang on with slight adjustments. The 100mm f/2.8L macro is about +3 the 70-200mm f2.8L II on the wide end is about +5 and the 85mm f1.2L II still work in progress couldn't really fine tune it yet.

The main motivation to get the FoCal is really to have the best possible calibration setting and do some other tests that it allows you to, like AF consistency.

I hope that with this the 85mm f1.2L II can be brought to its specification and planning to do some AF consistency check on it as well.

What I would like to know if we need to print the chart that FoCal has got on their website or we can use a high resolution screen like the one in the MacBook pro and simply use it as 'the paper'.

Thanks

Not sure how that would work. If you print the target they warn about laser printers ink being too reflective. Screens have refresh rates that may cause issues. I have never heard of using a screen before.

I purchased FoCal's hard target but an ink jet one will work as good. My MFA kit which is always ready to go also includes two daylight balanced studio CFL's to light the target. Canon's most comprehensive document to date talks about lighting conditions. Page 5. This guide should have been out 12 years ago when the 50D came out.

https://cdn.static-bl.com/images/manual/Canon-AF-Micro-Adjust-Guide.pdf

I guess with

-- hide signature --

I feel even more confident that soon things will have a wonderful conclusion

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow