Friends Wedding-Need Help With Flash in a Barn Setting

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
KariP
KariP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,493
Re: Friends...fast lenses +OC cord+diffusers

Jazz1 wrote:

Rightsaidfred wrote:

Just an alternative opinion:

If I was you, I'd think about taking this as a reason to buy one or two really fast lenses (at least f/1.4; will not necessarily cost you a fortune since the first two Viltrox lenses are out) and work w/o flash where possible.

In a barn, you may not have a room ceiling that allows for bounce flash.

What I've learned is that indoors, you really need the extra f-stops.

More natural scenes could be thedifferentiating factor vs the bride's father

Cheers,

Martin

I did in the past own a 23mm 1.4. In kicking myself for selling it. I will try to get my hands on one again. Thanks!

There is not enough DOF - too often so if you use "fast" f1,4 lens at f 1,4  . They both ( not just the bride ) should be in focus... Shallow DOF works with one person , but with two it can be difficult. Unpleasant to notice it afterwards

I did use my Canon OC cord with X-T1 - I have not tried it with H1 , should work.

And one more  thing - if you can not bounce the light from the ceiling  or some wall, you must have some kind of a flash diffuser or soft box . Straight flash is too harsh. I have used LumiQuest diffuser in friends wedding years ago - results were ok and we are still friends. Wedding photography is not my thing really...

-- hide signature --

Kari
I started SLR film photography in 1968, first DSLR was Canon 40D in 2007. Now Fujifilm X-E3 and X-H1 for nature, walking around ,traveling/landscapes - fantastic 5DMkIV for landscapes, macro , BIF ... .

KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-E3 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow