Best wide lens for astrophotography for Nikon Z50

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
quintana Regular Member • Posts: 386
Best wide lens for astrophotography for Nikon Z50

I'm contemplating selling my Z7 because it is overkill for me and a result of GAS to be honest. Fortunately I bought my Z7, 24-70/2.8 and 50/1.8 for such good prices that I could sell it without a big loss.

I already own the DX 16-50mm and 50-250mm lenses, the former for light walkaround when I don't want to lug around the 24-70/2.8 and the latter because of the lack of an affordable and relatively light FX telezoom for the Z mount. So I know what Image quality I can expect and honestly I wouldn't miss much. I shoot mostly landscapes so the slow aperture doesn't bother me and I printed big from D500 files in the past so the 20,9 MP versus 45 MP isn't an issue for me either.

Long story short: The only thing I would miss with the Z50 is a bright lens to shoot stars or polar lights during vacation. In 2017 I used the D500 with the 16-80/2.8-4.0 lens which worked OK for the relatively strong Aurora. But maybe there are better options with regards to image quality? I wouldn't mind using the FTZ (or another) adapter for these relatively rare occasions.

A fast zoom would be great for flexiblity but the Sigma 18-35/1.8 for example is a bit narrow on the short end. I'd rather have something around 21-24mm FF equivalent so that would narrow it down to prime lenses.

Any ideas?

quintana's gear list:quintana's gear list
Nikon Z50 Nikon Z 16-50mm F3.5-6.3 VR Nikon Z 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 VR
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D500 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow