Help explain the out of focus

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
wasserball Veteran Member • Posts: 4,352
Help explain the out of focus

This picture was taken with the Nikon 70-20mm f2.8 VR (off) on the D600. Please overlook the oil spots in the sky area, but I am puzzled with the fuzzy result. Now, at the autocross event, I wanted to show the car in motion, which I have done many times. The camera setting was at 200mm, manual setting to f14, 1/160 sec, auto ISO at 250. I handheld, but did not pan the camera. The photo was slightly cropped and the resolution reduced on purpose, but that is not why the photo is fuzzy besides the car, which looks good to me. Can you explain why the cones just in front of the car and the background look so fuzzy? The autofocus is in good order, and I did not pan the shot. I would expect the cones to be somewhat in focus since I was shooting at f14. All other cars that I shot came out the same so it is not just this one photo that is puzzling me.  I added another photo with a more detailed background, which looks like it is in motion too.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow