Recommendations for long term storage: RAID or ??

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
DerKeyser Contributing Member • Posts: 626
Re: Recommendations for long term storage: RAID or ??

gilliano wrote:

So I have reached well over 1TB of photos/ video. Although I have a fairly robust multi-copy backup system in place I do not want to use a dead end like an external HD for any kind of long term storage (long time field researcher and data manager, seen way too many people do that and lose everything). My internet connection is slow and not unlimited and I am aware of the ways cloud systems can go away/ go out of business so cloud back up is not my preference. I'm looking at RAIDs but not really sure what is practical / affordable for a small operation like mine. Any specific recommendations? Anything to consider? Alternatives? Assume I know nothing about them, which is basically where I'm at.

Also atm I am limited to USB 2.0 on my current computer but in the next year or so will upgrade to a new computer with 3.0 or faster file share capability. Not sure if I should wait or if most systems can handle both types of connection?

Actually there’s a lot of considerations to take depending on what result you are looking for. 
Let’s just get this one out of the way: RAID is not backup. It’s just a single disk with better physical hardwáre redundancy

I wrote the blog post below a few years back, and I have litteraly had more than a hundred people writing me and thanking me for making them aware of all the “other” things to keep in mind when designing a solution.

I’m not saying that my solution is the best - it’s just a very good low cost way of solving all the “problems” some/most of the offered solutions in this thread inherently contains (even though they are either denied by the author, or extremely unlikely).

Just read it through and identify the qualities you would like your solution to have. Then you can create that completely different from mine if that is your best solution. I don’t care - I only care about you getting a proper workflow/backup solution that will persist through human error, hardware errors and natural disasters.

Using a NAS to secure your workflow.

-- hide signature --

Happy Nikon Shooter
See my articles and galleries at: https://wolffmadsen.dk

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow