Alternatives to go longer than 5Ds + 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS II

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Igor Sotelo Regular Member • Posts: 282
Re: Alternatives to go longer than 5Ds + 100-400mm 4.5-5.6L IS II

John Sheehy wrote:

Igor Sotelo wrote:

For Nikon lenses there's really no need to go with adapters for Canon, specially since high megapixels bodies like the D800 aren't that expensive nowadays.

The only disadvantage to APS-C or m43 for the moon is when you have so much focal length that the moon quickly drifts out of the frame, or the moon doesn't even fit in the frame. Otherwise, there is no benefit to a FF sensor for the moon. Almost any current 24MP Nikon APS-C will give less noise and more resolution than the 800D. The Canon 90D or M6-II would be good choices, too, with more resolution.

APS-C sensors advanced a lot in dynamic range and high iso capabilities, not sure if M4/3 sensors advanced too. It’s just that a crop sensor isn’t versatile with other lenses.

I plan to buy a Nikon 14-24mm 2.8G, also I’m still thinking about the 105mm 1.4E, if there’s a problem focusing with the 85mm 1.2L that I’m testing this days, and maybe a 35mm 1.4G if the Canon 35mm 1.4L II is too expensive, which will likely be the case, so the D800 with 36MP and flash could be very useful.

On the other hand 15MP on APS-C and iso 6400 should be fine, since the sun and moon (spot metered) are well lit.

Though I’m starting to realize it’s more practical to double the focal length using a crop sensor body, rather than buying an 800mm lens.

Igor Sotelo's gear list:Igor Sotelo's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 6D Nikon Df Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow